Q. What causes my water to turn cloudy and smell badly?
- In a new tank, less than 30 days old with fish, it is caused by excessive food and fish waste decaying in the water. This is because your aquarium is cycling or establishing the bacterial bed.
Q. What is the unsightly white deposit on the glass and lid?
- The white deposit is caused by lime, a mineral found in most water supplies, which leaves a white stain when it dries.
Q. What causes white spots on the fins or body of my fish? It looks like salt.
- Ick parasites are multiplying on your fish. Left untreated, it will kill your fish. It is caused by chills and stress.
Q. Why do small fish die without visible signs?
- Invisible gill fungus is damaging the gills. This causes oxygen starvation and death.
Q. Why do the leaves on my live plants shed?
- Your aquarium is lacking in essential elements and have insufficient lighting.
Q. Why do my swords, mollies or other live-bearing fish stay in one place wigging and shaking?
- Your water supply is poor and lacking needed elements such as water quality, heater, Ph, etc.
Q. What should I do if I have chlorine or Chloramine in my city water?
- Chlorine is added to all water to kill germs in the water supply. Chloramine is added as a substitute to chlorine. Adding a neutralizer and conditional to the water will remove these dangerous additives.
Q. What causes white cottony fungus on the mouths, fins, tails or bodies of my tropical fish?
- Bacteria is attacking the delicate membranes or wounds caused from netting or fighting.
Q. I just purchased gravel for my aquarium. Do I have to wash it?
- Yes, new gravel may appear dirty or dusty or contain residues from the manufacturing process which may be harmful to your fish.
Q. Why do my goldfish become listless and later die?
- Chlorine which has been added to your city water to kill germs will also kill your fish. Excessive fish wastes may also cause disease in goldfish bowls.
Q. What temperature should my aquarium be?
- Keeping the aquarium temperature at 83° will inhibit and cure most small parasitic infections before they occur.